Cahuita National Park is both a marine & terrestrial Park, located in the Caribbean Coast, in the Limon Province. It is best none for the Coral Reefs close to shore you can discover while snorkeling or scubadiving during the dry season (February through April) with a guide, when the water is clearer. You are likely to see light yellow brain, elkhorn, and blue staghorn corals, sea fans, and gorgonians and more than 500 species of fish that live on the reef. But you may also come accross sea turtles, blue parrot fish, Manta ray & 3 different species of sharks.
On the mainland, you can go down on beautiful hiking trails at the Cahuita National Park. If you walk quietly through the trail you may bump into frogs, iguanas, possums and even sloths and monkeys !
Cahuita National Park is easily accessible as it is extremely close to town, so hotels and restaurants are very close too. Roads are also quite developed and in good shape mostly, so you will be able to take anything from a Compact to a 4×4 vehicle.
About the culture & history, the Caribbean coast has kept a special vibe due to the Africans coming Jamaica in the late 1800’s to build the coffee railroad from San José, or to work the banana plantations. Indeed, the Afro-Caribbean culture had a big influence on dining and local culture. (you will hear rythm of reggae while passing through the streets).
How to go there :
- 8 hours driving from Manuel Antonio, Via San Jose, then Limon and South to Cahuita.
- By bus : there is one from Quepos to San Jose, and then an other one to go to Cahuita.
- By plane : there is many flights from Quepos Airport to Cahuita (5 times per day, 30min duration) with SANSA Company.
Where to sleep :
- Cahuita Inn is a great option for your stay, they have a swimming pool, wifi and the rooms are clean, modern and some have views on the ocean.
Where to eat :
- Restaurante Palenque Luisa : they have great typical food and their steaks are delicious !
- Pizzeria Cahuita : an Italian restaurant from the same owners as the hotel. They make amazing pizzas !